Are you a fan yet!

Quotes

Think of other’s as havening a disability as a gift from God to show other’s they can do something special.
--Jennifer Hoover

Try something new at least once
_______________________________

I firmly believe Special Olympics is more than just a program of sports, training and competition; it's a strong statement of optimism about human life.
--
William J. Clinton, former president of the United States of America

If people would believe in us like Special Olympics and see what we can do, they would be amazed. My ambition in life is to turn ‘no’ into ‘yes.’ If someone says I can’t do something, I want to prove I can.
Suzanne O’Moore, Special Olympics Australia athlete
It is the Special Olympics athletes’ ability to deliver and exceed everyone’s expectations, including my own that impresses me the most.
Peter Lynch, Vice Chairman, Fidelity Management and Research Company

"Share our similarities, celebrate our differences."

Special Olympics Athlete Oath

"Let me win. But if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt.

Miley Cyrus - The Climb: Hannah Montana The Movie

The Climb by Miley Cyrus should be Special Olympics theme song. To me it means, for everything that comes your way; you will always have another challenge. You can find out your meaning for yourself.

From Special Olympics Fan Community

A World of Neglect

A World of Neglect
People with intellectual disabilities are every society's most neglected population. Nearly 200 million people, or three percent of the world's population, have an intellectual disability, making it the largest disability population in the world.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

On the r-word

Thousands of people have taken the pledge to stop using the word "retard" as an insult or a putdown. Here are just a few of the reasons why.

"I used to use the r-word every day, in a joking manner, calling friends it for the smallest things. I stopped when I started working at a rec center that had a Friday Morning kids time, and many of the children are intellectually challenged."

"To use that word towards a group of individuals who all they want is to love and to be loved is extremely hurtful. These individuals don't know how to hate because of your color or beliefs. We could all learn something from them."

"People do not realize the power that words can carry. Acceptance and tolerance have to be taught at home! We all have something wonderful and exciting to offer."

"Have courage to stand up for what you believe, not to sit idly and be an observer to others using the word. Celebrate the diversity in all people - everyone - no exceptions."

"My brother with Down syndrome has taught me more than most people in my life. I cannot think of growing up without him! I pledge with joy to remove this word!"

"I have fought against the use of this word ALL my life. In high school I walked out and refused to play basketball (first line varsity) because my coach used this word and refused to apologize. I never played on a team again. Proud we are taking a stand."

"I want my children to receive the gifts of all kinds of people and take risks as they explore their own gifts and learn how to partner with others, especially folks who are in some way 'different.' The R-word just separates people and dissolves trust."

"I pledge because of my son. I would never desire for him to be called that and then come home and ask me what it meant! Potential is not dependent upon IQ."

If we all tell 10 people to stop using this word, and they pledge and tell 10 more people, we will have this around the world in a short time, and we will ALL stop using it and start encouraging one another!

If you look up intellectual_disabilities all you get is this.

No comments:

SOinTC Facebook Page